A downloadable game
Schmuztnik is a platform game where all the art is made from play-doh. Spelunk into the caverns with your robot, reaching up to higher areas with your extendable neck, clean up the ever-growing green slime, avoid enemies, and ultimately reach the exit for each cave.
- Arrow keys or A, D, and W to roll left, roll right, or perform an action.
- R - Restart level
- ESC - Exit to title screen / Quit game
- An Xbox 360 controller also works, with START functioning as ESC. Other controllers hopefully do too.
Schmutznik is now available to purchase!
This began as a 6502 assembly language game for the Atari 8-bit computer series. I switched to GameMaker when I found assembly language too difficult to write, even with great support from the Atariage.com programming forums.
The stretching mechanic was inspired by a peculiar feature of sprites on the Atari - sprites on these computers are narrow but can be as tall as the screen.
- Members of the Atariage forums for the initial assembly language help
- Very helpful members on the official GameMaker forum
- Johnathon Will Hand for early play testing
- Jim Cook for continued bug finding, play testing, and advice
- Firehawke from TeamNullset for superb advice.
- I learned so much from the following GameMaker teachers on YouTube - Heartbeast, Shaun Spalding, and Tom Francis
- Fantastic gameplay ideas from Game Maker's Toolkit (and, while not related to gaming, Nerdwriter1 is a great breakdown of culture and Every Frame a Painting is so good on the techniques of filmmaking. /Digression).
- Coded in GameMaker Studio 2
- Audio made in Garageband with a few sounds make in Bfxr. (and cleaned up afterward in Adobe Audition).
- Artwork 99% made from Play-Doh and edited in Adobe Photoshop
- Fueled by Earl Grey tea, medium-dark coffee brewed in an Aeropress, and Theo 70% dark chocolate.
Coding, sound effects, and artwork by Avram Dumitrescu. www.onlineavram.com. Music by Jeffery Meyer.
Nov 24, 2021 - Another minor bug fix. And Schmutznik is discounted by 34% until Dec. 1!
Nov 6, 2021 - More bug fixes, optimization fix, and screen-shake reduction.
Oct 19, 2021 - Some minor bug fixes
Oct 14, 2021 - Full version of Schmutznik launched!
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $5.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
- New demo is availableNov 12, 2021
- Bug fixesOct 20, 2021
- Schmutznik is live!Oct 15, 2021
- PolishingSep 08, 2021
- Steam and Social MediaJun 24, 2021
- Music and HousekeepingApr 13, 2021
- Trailer!Apr 09, 2021
- Level NamesFeb 14, 2021